The temple is atop a hill called Neelachal Parvat.
It is believed , Sri Aadi Sankracharya consecrated this temple in 8 th Century AD.
The Goddess named Chandi devi because she is worshipped here as the Goddess who killed demons called Chanda and Munda.
The present temple is built by King of Kashmir- Suchat Singh in 1929.
One can reach the temple either by a three kilometer trucking or a rope way that takes about ten minutes- both way offers a panoramic view of Haridwar and its surroundings.