Another Hindu temple of Goa which had to be shifted from its original place following the attack of the Portuguese rulers.
Originally the deity was at a place called Kelsi before getting shifted to the present place. The present temple owes much to the famous Maratha ruler Sri Shahu Maharaj (he is the grandson of Chatrapathi Shivaji Maharaj- the great Hindu ruler of Maratha).
In 1738 AD Sri Shahu Maharaj re-built this temple. But the temple received many additions and repairs thereafter.
Legend is that the Goddess here is in Shanta Durga form, a rare attribution to Goddess Durga where she is worshiped in her pacific form. The reason is that she mediated with Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu during one of their quarrel.
The architecture of the temple is eye- catching. The whole temple appears red in colour with a mix of both Indian and Portuguese architecture. The tall deepasthamba of this temple is another attraction.
Temple is about 33 kilometers from Panaji- the State capital.