The famous temple is dedicated to Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa- the spiritual giant who produced another Great son of India- Swami Vivekananda.
The temple is originally conceived by Swami Vivekananda as a tribute to his grand master. But he could not make it during his short life and it is Swami Vijnananda- another direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna who completed the construction in 1938 at a cost of eight lakh rupees. The entire expense of this cost is said to be borne by two American followers of Swami Vivekanada.
Although he could not put in place, Swami Vivekananda had a clear vision on the plan of this temple. Swami Vijnananda simply followed the vision of the Great Hindu monk of India.
The striking feature of this temple is its synthesis of many architectural patterns from many cultures around the world. Thus, we can see usage of patterns from Hindu, Muslim, Christian and Jain architecture at various places of this temple.
The temple is an experiment on Hindu temple architecture putting its best attribute- the universal acceptance- to the toughest test !
Still, one can feel that, Sri Mj. Herald Brown, the creative architect of the temple, has succeeded in building a typical Hindu temple with wonderful mixture of different cultures around the world.
The eye-catching white marble statue of Sri Ramakrishna at the sanctum is adorable for its master craftsman ship. It is crafted by Sri Gopeshwar Pal.
The beautiful temple is set amidst even more beautiful landscape provided by the holy river Ganges adjacent to its right side and also the holy math where, Sri Swami Vivekananda lived, and had his last breath in 1902. It is just behind the temple.